Thursday, September 20, 2012

Embarking on Inspiration






The brain loves a challenge. It loves to grow and expand. So I have decided to feed it.
After working on that Ocean Floor necklace I wore it to Germany. My friend Siggi encouraged me to go further with this design idea. The bead embroidery on wool felt is at this moment my medium of choice.

With that in mind I cut out of paper a shape . At first I thought it looked like a bottle. But now I see a woman’s shape.

Make sure you click on the picture so you can see it larger and the detail.

I backed it with stiff interfacing, the kind you use to make fabric bowls. I started with the door. And started beading. I had sketched some of it on paper but most of it was on the fly.

Once backed with a knit backed faux leather and edged in beads I had to take a long time to figure out how I was going to hang it. I chose 3 strands that were somewhat braided. One strand is leather/suede. (found at the Pendleton Wool store as scrap) and two are beaded strands. The whole design was suppose to be inspired by Summer.



I really like how it came out



Staying with the same shape I was inspired by the Perseid Meteor Shower that happened in August. Having gone out late at night with friends to enjoy the sight.

Using another door but now with the stars being a focus, this design has really fueled my momentum. I want to start naming these objects (pendants). This purple with stars will be “Door Van Gogh” after Vincent Van Gogh’s painting Starry Starry Night.
.

I still have to hang it and have been learning a new craft that will allow me to make my own cords. It is called Kumihimo. This is a kind of Japanese craft of braiding cord/yarn/string. This is the cord I braided for Door Van Gogh.

I think I will include a strand of beads and wrap them together.

The Summer one is now named “Door into Summer” after my mother’s favorite Sci Fi book by Robert Heinlein.

Here are some other samples of the Kumihimo I did with beads. I used wimple junk crochet cotton with some plastic beads I have, no idea what size they are but they do not slide easily on the cotton so it was a little time consuming doing this beaded rope. The yellow/green one is done with random colors. The Blue Pink has only one strand of pink and the rest is blue.




Right now I am testing a 16 strand braid using my Possum yarn. Yes, yarn made with Possum wool?/hair. My friend Brenda brought it back from New Zealand for me. I wasn’t sure how I was going to use it since I don’t knit. But this Kumihimo is a great opportunity to test it with. More on that later.

No comments: