Thursday, October 3, 2013

Another mystery book

Oh Dear, has it really been since Easter that I have written in this blog? For shame on me.
That just means I get to do double time on it now.

So. . .I did it again. I bought an item on auction. A leather valise, I wanted to use it for my Steampunk costume.
When it arrived I unpacked it and realized it needed some TLC. Put it in the corner till I could get to it. That was about 6 months ago.

It came from a local Goodwill so when it arrived and I saw the UofO sticker on the side (almost completely gone) I knew it was from someone in Oregon.
Yesterday I started cleaning it off with Saddle soap. Making sure I didn't disturb the sticker. It is getting cleaner but it is going to need some mink oil or something cause the leather is cracked and breaking off in the folds.

As I was cleaning it I looked inside, dusty, dead spider. Then I checked the side pockets. And that is where I found this notebook.
Or rather notepad.
It is only 4inch.

Inside are a few pages with minute handwriting. It takes me a while to figure out what it is saying. Then the lighbulb goes on.

Here we have a notepad that was purchased in France, approx. 1945. Owned by Winton J. Hunt. His notes are military notes. He is recording an accident with explosives and who was killed, Italians and Germans and US. Seems they were unloading armaments (B betty bombs) and it slipped and exploded. He lists which men died. Like the POW's that are Italian or German.

There are also notes for arranging the Christmas party with children. He talks about which units and how many children will be from that unit. Also how the bus/truck will come to areas in the city to pick up the children.

Knowing the war ended in May 1945 and these notes are from August and November 1945 it tells me that Winton Hunt was helping move units out and heal things with the citizens of France.

I have googled the names of some of the men mentioned. Most of them are dead now. Winton J. Hunt is also deceased. But he left quite a legacy. Here is his obituary in the Salem Statesman.
Winton J. Hunt August 13, 1911 - May 21, 2009 SALEM - A loving husband and great Oregonian, Winton J. Hunt, age 97, died of natural causes at his home in Salem, Ore. He was born in Woodburn, Ore. to Jno and Molly (Meiring) Hunt. He attended U of O and Willamette Law School. After WWII, he took over the family insurance business (Jno Hunt & Son Insurance). In 1975, Winton married Dona Battig and became a loving stepfather to three children. He loved reading, history, fishing, golf, boating, and played baseball for U of O and the Salem Senators. He served his country as an Army Major, participating in the WWII Normandy Invasion and the Battle of the Bulge, receiving the Bronze Star in 1944. He was elected Oregon State Rep. 1957-1963, Chief Clerk 1965-1982, and served 30 years on the State Fair Board. Survived by wife,

Ready for this. . . a You Tube video of him.

I'm currently trying to track down family members so hang on, there will be more I hope.


1 comment:

Camryn Forrest said...

Amazing find. I'm so glad you researched and shared, fascinating! Keep us posted on what happens next.